We wanted to share with you a document that summarizes the Congress Party’s approach to fighting terrorism – what we have done so far and what we commit to doing further to tackle it.
“The Congress Party’s Pledge: Protecting India from Terror”
The Congress led UPA government has instituted a number of measures to protect India from terror, many of which have been drowned under the din of opposition rhetoric. Some of these include:
- Setting up a functional National Investigation Agency
- Establishing and activating a Multi Agency Centre (MAC) to ensure inter-agency collaboration Enacting a stronger Anti-Terrorism Law
- Setting up 20 Counter Insurgency and Anti-Terrorism Schools
- Establishing a network of NSG Hubs across the country
- Phased Implementation of a Multi-Purpose National Identity Card (MNIC) for all Indian citizens
In addition, we will institute a number of addition initiatives if we are voted to power:
- Launching a Citizens Campaign against terror
- Undertaking a comprehensive Review of VIP/VVIP Security
- Setting up a permanent Crisis Management “War Room” to manage national security threats
- A Judicial Task Force on Fast-track Trials
Fighting terror is a long haul, and a number of high-impact measures that we have instituted will begin to bear fruit in the coming months and years.
Nevertheless, we cannot waste even a day – the Congress Party is alive to this challenge, and is committed to providing strong and decisive leadership to meet it. This is our pledge to the people of India.
We believe that it is only the Indian National Congress that can deal with the scourge of terrorism squarely and decisively but without weakening the delicate strands that have, together, bound our society for centuries.
Please feel free to share this document with others, in order to generate informed discussion and decision making.
We welcome the opportunity to receive your thoughts.
Voting is every adult citizen’s right and that must be exercised. Please Vote ! Congress.
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee